The simple present tense in English is used to describe an action that is regular, true or normal.
We use the present tense:
1. For repeated or regular actions in the present time period.
- I take the train to the office.
- The train to Berlin leaves every hour.
- John sleeps eight hours every night during the week.
2. For facts.
- The President of The USA lives in The White House.
- A dog has four legs.
- We come from Switzerland.
3. For habits.
- I get up early every day.
- Carol brushes her teeth twice a day.
- They travel to their country house every weekend.
4. For things that are always / generally true.
- It rains a lot in winter.
- The Queen of England lives in Buckingham Palace.
- They speak English at work.